Now that's living...
"Now that's living" is a phrase that John Brown shared with me one night at his house while we were hanging out and reflecting about our jobs. He told me it came from the History of Gould Farm written by Bill McKee. In the book the author was talking about one early morning when he was working outside by himself on something, and it was so beautiful and amazing when writing about it he said, "Now that's living." There were many experiences I had at the farm where I'd look back or while it was happening I'd think to myself..."Now that's living." These are the times that are so amazing and precious that you wouldn't trade them for any amount of money. I had one the other night here in Iowa and would like to share it. Before reading this, remember I'm a nerd, goofy, and all those adjectives.I was riding shotgun with a close friend (also named Nathan). In the back seat where a couple of other friends. We had just ate together at a fish fry and were riding together to work on a service project listening to the radio. The song that came on was, "It's a great day to be alive" by Travis Tritt. It is a favorite of Nate and I. We turned it up and sang our hearts out. In that moment of singing about it being a great day, being together, and traveling in community of friends to go help people I thought to myself, "Now that's living."
I realized that I need to look out for those moments more, and be aware of them because it would be a shame to miss one. Another thing is that if I ever stop having those "Now that's living" moments in my life, I hope that I wisdom to look at things in such a way so they occur again or have the courage to move on and find them. I think it'd be awesome if you all would like to share some times like that (serious or funny) here. If you'd rather not, no hard feelings or anything. I hope that wasn't too deep for the web blog or anything. If it was, please forgive me, I'm new at this.
Kt, it's a same Iowa isn't on the way to Oregon, it would be fun to see you again. If you (or anybody for that matter) are traveling through this part of the country, you have a place to stay with me. Or if nothing else, a place to stop for a hug and lunch, dinner, or whatever else. Now to close with a line from, "It's a Great Day to be Alive": "Yeah, I think I'll make me some home made soup. Feeling pretty good and that's the truth. It's neither drink nor drug induced. No I'm just doin' all right." Have great days everybody.

<< Home