Friday, April 06, 2007

little frustrated am i

B-vet, I drink in your "now that's living" story like a fine sweet shining nectar of the gods, for my day has run more along the lines of:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Print does not convey my fullest feelings. Hey, have you ever noticed that the string of A's, the typical embodiment of frustration, looks like a little picket fence? I digress.

Happily, I have relief in the project of chopping up a pile of pine logs, which as anyone who has ever chopped wood knows can be an exercise in madness itself. Nothin' like the pleasing sound of a "whoomp!" as your maul buries itself in spongy pinewood. Back in the GF woodpile we used to call it "making birdbaths," since after 10 minutes all you had was a log with a very big divot in the middle.

My "now that's living" happiness has lately come in the form of a program called Cakewalk that lets you write and orchestrate music. The string section sounds terribly MIDI-fied, but other than that I've got a nice, tense arrangement for baritone and tenor. I sorely wish I could take a composing class so I knew what the heck I was doing. Mostly I operate on the lines of, "Hey! That sounds good!" after fiddling around with notes for a while. Now all I have to do is orchestrate every other song I've ever written and I'll have a full blown opera. Anyone know where I can find a good basso profundo?

Clemmy, nice profile! I'm sad that you slayed the dragon, though.

So... who's going to be the lucky contestant to put up post #100?