How've you 'uns been?
Hey ya'll,I love appalachian people and their accent. I'm not intending to make fun of them at all, I had a pretty awesome accent by the end of my week there. I'm afraid I won't be able to reproduce it at will very well, I'm not very good at that kind of thing. My spring break was awesome, just what the Doctor ordered (or what he or she would have ordered if they had known). While in Kentucky, I was trying to get ahold of a friend of mine (Tim) I had made on a previous trip that lives in Appalachia. I called his phone and got some one who wasn't Tim. The conversation went something like this: "Hello can I talk to Tim please." "Who?" "Can I please talk to Ti-eeemmm." "Oh, he's up at the house." And then I was hung up on without any option to leave a message or anything. I laughed a lot.
I was in South Eastern Kentucky, close to Cumberland Falls State park. Cumberland Falls is one of two places in the world you can see a moonbow (a rainbow by moonlight) because of the special water falls there. I was lucky enough to see a moonbow last year, which was pretty awesome and if anyone wants to go sometime, let me know and we can road trip there and I can find a place for us to stay. (K t, I'm almost expecting you to show up at my door within the month and asking me when we can visit the falls, or you just going there yourself to seen the moonbow. It doesn't seem like you need much of an excuse to travel.) My group hiked at Cumberland Falls a couple of days. There is a part at the park where you can hike behind one of the waterfalls. It's pretty awesome, and I just sat there for a while.....and listened....it's amazing what you can hear when nature finally gets loud enough to drown out the rest of the world.
My trip to Kentucky was awesome. I just love people. It was fun to watch the group of students I was with and the appalachian people that we helped. Ahhhhhh....(thoughtful silence)
Seattle sounded like lots of fun. It's fun to visit other places. And food from different places can change your perspective on things...like when I ate food from the farm team break room for a summer. Now I'm only slightly pickier than your average garbage disposal. Music from other places can change your perspective too. Over break I heard bluegrass from the hills of Kentucky from people with a ridiculous amount of talent. My ears are all kinds of spoiled, and I'm afraid to listen to other live groups for a short while for fear that I won't appreciate them.
K t, if you ever do start up a farm in the western U.S., let me know. Seriously. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to do the vet thing for a while, but maybe some day I'll get tired of it and want to be a farmer for a time. Please keep me posted if that idea ever comes to pass.
GFGroupie, I really enjoyed your last post. It made me laugh. Are you beginning to see light at the end the tunnel of your program like I am? I hope so, daylight is cool.
Here's a story you may find amusing. The other night I was swimming. I don't swim with my glasses, so I don't see very well. I'm pretty good at not running into things without them on...(well...I do run into things while I swim, but that's not related to my vision.) Anyways, my world is pretty blurry without my glasses. I saw a girl walking towards me about the same height, build and hair color as my friend Emily, whom I know goes swimming from time to time. She waved in my direction, so I thought that it must be my friend! My face lit up, I waved, and said, "Hey Emily!" Then I realized that she was waving to the life gaurd behind me and that it surely wasn't Emily. I was a little embarrassed must have muttered something like, "Sorry. Hope I didn't scare you. Can't see. No glasses. You look like my friend." Then I took off swimming like flipper himself. She ended up swimming in my lane anyways, and I later pieced together a more coherent apology. She said, "Oh that's allright, it was kind of nice." Thank goodness for friendly people.
Thanks for posting all the stories everybody, I really appreciate knowing what everyone is up to....but not in a stalker way...it's a I miss my friends and like hearing what they do way.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home