Friday, April 06, 2007

Goings on

Clemmy, I can relate somewhat to missing the farm. I was only there for a summer and I still miss it and the people out there. Remember the bathroom we shared? (awkward silence) Good times. Congrats on the boyfriend, and that was a good description you provided of him, I laughed. K t, your trip sounds exciting and I bet the pictures are awesome. I wish you the best trying to figure out where to go for a job. That's what I'll have to do in the not too distant future, but I'm glad it's not today. Random comment: I've always wanted to visit Alaska.

I am happy to report that I am no longer afraid of the dark. I was watching an episode of Curious George on TV the other day while eating and cooking. (the only time I have to watch tv is basically while I'm preparing or consuming food.) The man in the yellow hat taught me that those monsters I see in my room when it's dark aren't really monsters at all. They are just normal things that look scary when the lights are out. That's quite a relief off of my mind.

I went to the Catholic Worker house in Des Moines (a hospitality house for the poor) last week to visit some friends I hadn't seen in a while and let the workers there know I hadn't forgotten about them. One of the community members at the Catholic worker is a Muslim, so they had him and some of his friends from the Mosque presenting information about the religion of Islam and they also read some things from the Koran. It was pretty awesome. Arabic is a very melodic and beautiful when read they way they read it. It was really interesting to me to learn about some of the parallels between Christianity and Islam. mmmm...Good stuff.

Allright...be warned for one of my "now that's living" moments in 3....2.....1. I was out for a bike ride the other day. Most people wouldn't consider 30 degrees and 30 mph winds a good day for a bike ride, but I was tired of being inside. The sun was shining, why not ride? I went out to a park and pond on the outside of town. When I came into full view of the park, it was pretty awesome. There was ice in magnificant configurations on the rocks surrounding the lake, there were waves across the pond, the sun was setting with it's entire palette of colors over the trees, and as the snot froze to my nose from being exposed to the full blast of the wind...I knew my entire ride was worth it for that one view.

Take care everybody. (hugs all around)