Thursday, November 02, 2006

Endless ramblings from me

Oh my goodness, I just tried calling Topside to try to reach you! (Ya'll must be at lunch.) Why Boston? Is this a good thing, a bad thing? I know things at the farm are tense these days, but I hope there's no connection to your sudden departure.

The farm continues to haunt me from beyond the grave, as I keep getting bills for a trip to the hospital that was supposed to be covered by worker's comp. It's driving me nuts, and Rich keeps telling me, "It'll be taken care of, no problem!" The hospital is on the verge of sending a collection agency after me to ruin my credit rating, and Rich says, "It's almost fixed, no problem!" Can I just say AAAAAAA?!

Speaking of the fine and lovely place that is known as Gould Farm, I need to figure out whether to come for a visit in January, and if so, when. Is there any time in January that wouldn't work? Basti, TSO, will you still be around by then? If I'm going to come, I need to get tickets fairly soon.

TSO, it sounds like you didn't beat up on poor Maine too much. I was trying to figure out what you meant by your title, but my best guess was an alcoholic beverage. (Virginia Creeper = Mint Julep? Hmm.) No? Let me guess again. A band you listened to? You were creeped out by Virginia and venting about it? The possibilities are endless.

Yes, we did have a truckload of snow here, about 18 inches last Thursday. It's mostly gone now, though the mercury still hits the teens in the night. Winter here is nowhere near as bad as a Berkshire winter, ha ha. As far as the cows, wouldn't you take the mud over the flies? Nothing like warming your hands on an udder, I say.

News from the outside world...Well, last Friday I visited the high school where my friend teaches, sitting in on one class and giving a presentation to another. It was very strange, the first time I've been to a high school class since I graduated. They were having an all-day pumpkin flinging contest outside using the catapults and trebuches built by the physics class, which was fun to watch. That night I went to a big costume party held by my friend's Bible study group, about twenty people or so. We started off the evening with a "Mystery Dinner." It was hilarious. You got a menu of fifteen words from the Bible which corresponded with dinner items, which you had to organize into five appetizers, five mains, and five desserts. The kitchen delivered your courses as you had ordered them, and you were stuck with whatever guesses you made. For example, "Judas" was a knife, since he stabbed Jesus in the back, "The Red Sea" was sauce for the spaghetti, "Manna" was bread, "Leprosy" was butter, etc. (But we didn't find out the code until after dinner.) I did all right for my first course, but for my second I got a plate with a toothpick, a knife, tomato sauce, salad dressing, and butter. Wee! It was a lot of fun. The guy next to me got all utensils and a dinner mint for his first course!

Oh dear, I'm writing a novel. I'll stop now. Hope you're all doing well. Clem, take care in the big BO!