the un-christ-ness of christmas
aarrgghh.I love the farm. I really do.
But why do we insist on taking all the Christ-ness out of Christmas?
There are, oh, a hundred people on the farm, and I am the only one who goes to church every Sunday, I'm one of three who celebrated advent in any form, and I am one of about seven who will be going to church tonight or tomorrow morning, even though two trips are offered.
The decorations are blue and white "like snow" because red and green were too "Christmas-y".
Really, what is Christmas without the whole Jesus thing? I don't get it.
And I feel very sad to be surrounded by people who don't have faith but still want to celebrate the shell of the holiday. It's hard for me not to feel sheepish about my inclusion of faith in my celebration of Christmas, because people imply that Christmas shouldn't be so religious, even though I don't think anyone would be annoyed with a Jewish person for including the story of the original menorah in a celebration of Chanukkah.
At the same time, the program and dining room will be beautiful, the dinner will be delicious, and it will be amazing to be surrounded by so many wonderful people.
So I guess my job this year is to find Christ in a "where's-waldo-esque" way, and I have no doubt I will find Him, perhaps moreso because I am looking so hard.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home