Midwestern and proud of it...
Vacations are such wonderful things. I left the farm thinking "I can't stand this place sometimes... must... get.... out...!" and have been spending my vacation, in part, telling people how wonderful the farm is. And I'll be ready to come back and hopefully be rested.And I'm finding that my community is really spread out and that my heart is still mostly in the midwest... So, Kt, if a farm it is, (and I would be totally on board with a healing community of some kind... I would love to be a live-in tutor for whoever needs it, and perhaps a pastoral presence... and I love the idea!) I'd request it be somewhere in the midwest (that is, if the midwest doesn't get unbearably hot because of global warming or something... tho I guess hot is better than underwater as far as living is concerned)... Soo... my mind evidently is random and run-on today.
There's a raw honesty and an innocent (almost-naive in spots) trust here (i'm in Iowa, though it's also my experience of Indiana) that is not always as present out east -- just one of the things I miss about the midwest. And speaking of raw honesty -- tsoldtimer, far from being a conversation-stopper in my mind, your post had some of that honesty that I love. Thank you for posting what all of us have likely thought at one time or another -- and for saying it so well... much better than I would have, for sure.
As for saying goodbye... It scares me that i'm almost the only one left on the farm from this blog... Y'all need to come visit sometime while I'm still here.... you have a year. Goodbyes make hellos hard -- not because there aren't great people to say hello to, but because I know the goodbyes will take so much energy (in fact, the more energy expended on hellos, the more energy needed for goodbyes). I have to keep reminding myself that the time in between is more than worth the pain of goodbye in nearly all cases.
Speaking of goodbyes, for this blog, do we want to keep some connection to the farm in present (i.e. always try to have members who are still at the farm) or do we like our group of contributers as they are?
What the heck is this about having a contradance in the sheep barn the week that I'm away for vacation?!?!?!?!?!? I took working Saturday nights on the condition that K-east-man trade with me once a month for contradances, and he took me up on it. Since then, he hasn't been able to trade me much at all. Soo... it's been months without a contradance, and I feel the life-blood seeping out of me. So, have fun at the dance but remember me, wasting away to nothing for want of a dance...*gasp*wheezing cough* ;) Just kidding. Mostly. =)
I can't imagine being in a better place for vacation. I know only one person here and am spending lots of good time with him. I'm learning to know people, but in the mean time I have no obligations to visit anyone and get to spend my days doing whatever I darn well please. In the Midwest. Knowing that I get to, at the end of the day, spend an evening with a really great guy doing really fun things.
Life is good, eh?

<< Home