Monday, June 04, 2007

Since you mentioned it...

Yeah, b-v, that's one of my underlying thoughts. I've mused on it since I first arrived at the farm. And why not? It might not be an unreachable idea.

As I was driving back to Oregon, I stopped at two places to consider long-term job possibilities. Both were animal related. One was the nation's largest adoption shelter, the other a sanctuary/advocacy center for animals maltreated by the factory farming industry. Both were doing immense work for the welfare of animals, but little in the way of helping people, which left me feeling unsatisfied. At both places I saw broken animals, abused and crippled by our broken society. As I drove away I could not help but think of the broken people of Gould Farm, and the broken world we live in. And driving, I realized that I can never in good conscience take a 9 to 5 desk job just to pay the bills for my cable. So yeah, many thoughts are going through my head right now.

But by golly, I shouldn't even look at properties for the fun of it, because then I end up finding one for sale that would do perfectly:

(Salmon-filled river in the background, FYI.)

I like your ideas a lot, especially the ratio idea. Can you imagine what we would have done with more free time at the farm? Or if we hadn't been so exhausted for the free time we had?

Here's another weed I thought of - all of the staff should have a chance to do all of the work, except the highly specialized tasks. There should be no "office only" staff. Even if the office work needs to get done, why not have someone do it half the day, then trade off with someone outside who can finish? And even if there are defined teams, I think the farm should arrange for everyone to spend at least one week on every other team.