Reactions
You'd think with three years experience, counting the time shortly before I was hired up until now, I'd be able to describe Gould Farm to people without batting an eye. But I always seem to pause at the part about mental illness. The responses I've gotten have been so varied and unpredictable that I never know what to expect. Some people falter and go, "Eeeh... oh that's nice...", some immediately start describing any friends or family who might have even a slight mental illness, some act surprised and don't know what to say next. One man even launched enthusiastically into, "I used to work with psychos too!" which made me want to slap him.Of course, once I get a chance to say more the awkwardness typically goes away, but there's just that initial hesitation as I jump the gap between working farm and mental illness. Anyone have similar experiences? Handy tips?

<< Home