Travelling Mantras
Phoo! A double Kt post! How I shudder...But I felt inclined to blog, because I'm hitting the road tomorrow to drive back to Oregon (this time for good) and my head has been filled with all kinds of unrest and reminiscences and philosophizing that require devolving. I load my car box after box, and with each trip hear the steady question, "Why move? Why leave? Returning to what?" Ah, but the siren voice of the road is strong! A shift, a flight, a constant reminder as I rip up my roots once again that belongings are so cumbersome. With each box I close and tape, I long for a house to unpack in, a shelf to stack my books, but with each load out to the car I wonder, why do I have so much stuff?
Stuff definitely ties you down. Without it you are a deer in the field. With it, you might as well try to pick up your house by the foundations if you want to move around. A blessing, a curse. It's best not to accumulate it to begin with, but then you find a place to settle down into and you want to feather your nest. Darn instincts!
Two voices speak, one that says to stay and build and learn is good and right, and the other which promises adventure on the open road, the chance to see life, but not to live it. Is it better to grow a garden, or to travel the globe? To know one thing really well, or all things just a little? If you have tasted the fruits of both, and they are both to your liking, will you forever long for the one you do not have?
When I leave tomorrow, time will cease for me. There is no end to my trip, no destination, and after I have hit the road and filled up my tank for the first time, there will have been no starting point. I carry my house with me, the highway is my homeland. Days of the week will have no meaning and my view will be forever a gray triangle with a white line down the middle, only the edges changing, measured by the position of the sun in the sky and the needle on the gas tank.
Ah, tis a sweet and sporting thing! I will post again on the other side, wander-weary and filled with new sights!

<< Home