Monday, June 04, 2007

Count me in

I think I said this before, but let me know if you ever try to start a farm of sorts. I'd be very interested in trying to find some way to help. I can relate to seeing many broken people and wanting to help...and feeling disatisfied with anything less. I'm a month into my senior year at vet med....and most days I find myself much less satisified than last summer. I understand that I'm still a student and I have some extra hoops that make my work not as fun as a real vet, but it's definitely making me think about things. I do love veterinary medicine and animals, but I've known for a few years now that my greatest passion is people, and helping people. It'll probably be better when I have regular clients that I will have the chance to get to know better. There have been moments when I was really glad I could be there for my colleagues and the pet owners. (Like when Mary, a puppy, died during surgery) It's a great blessing to be given the chance to help people when they need it. I want to use my degree to help people. Maybe I'll find enough of that in my profession, maybe I'll find a niche, maybe I'll end up doing something different. I don't know yet.

Back to me helping with a "new farm," I personally don't care much for money or nice things, but I'll have a pile of debt to crawl out from under...and I don't think the lenders would be very "forgiving"...so I'll probably have to be a "real vet" for a while to make ends meet. And I'm not ready to jump off the veterinary band-wagon just yet. I've put too much time and energy into this beast to give up without giving myself a chance to love or not love that career, but that doesn't mean I couldn't move someplace close and help in my spare time and/or be the farm vet.

I do like your idea of having people work many places. Another "weed" I spotted at Gould Farm (that's not unique to the farm) was the different teams failing to understand eachother, and resenting other teams at times. If people knew what it was like to have the shoe on the other foot, I think people would get along and cooperate better. One easy example: The farm team would probably be better at making sure roadside and the kitchen have the milk and eggs they need if they really understood what a headache it is not to have what you need on time. And the kitchen and roadside people would be more understanding if they understood how busy it can get on the farm some days, and how easy it can be to forget when you are trying to make hay, make sure all the animals have food and water, and/or fix a fence so animals don't get out. That idea would probably promote greater cooperation among the entire farm.