Monday, April 09, 2007

Still Saturday

I like that quote, TSO. I was trying to remember it earlier today while I was washing asparagus, watching large flakes of snow falling past the window. Got most of the words right, but not exactly in the right order, so I just kept saying, "April made a blizzard to show she did not care..." April's just having a little fun with us, is all.

I'm a little OD'ed on chocolate eggs at the moment. Yesterday I managed to talk my parents into coloring eggs for the first time in years, and they got into it like a couple of kids! My mom reciprocated by forcing me to go on an egg hunt today. Wee!

Today was such a wonderful day. We all braved the cold and got up very early for the sunrise service, then had an all-church breakfast. My dad led singing, and I got to contribute by fixing one of the toilets in the women's room. (It's a running theme. Apparently no woman in our church understands how toilets work except me.) Nothing like plunging toilets in my Sunday best!

Pastor Bill, the man who came to our house to comfort us the night my grandma died, lost his wife to cancer in October, and today he gave one of the most amazing Easter sermons I've ever heard. Mixed with the joy of the Resurrection he recounted his own sorrow of spending Easter without his wife, saying that despite the fact that he'll someday rejoin her, a new wound is not made less painful by saying, "It will heal someday." His point was that for us Christians it's still Saturday here on Earth. Still Saturday, but Sunday will come. And so I found this quote:

Tomb, thou shalt not hold Him longer;
Death is strong, but Life is stronger;
Stronger than the dark, the light;
Stronger than the wrong, the right;
Faith and Hope triumphant say
"Christ will rise on Easter Day!"
~Phillips Brooks

Happy Easter, everyone!
(Whoops! I've waited until so late that it's actually the day after Easter...)
Happy Day-After-Easter, everyone!