Tuesday, August 07, 2007

My humble tribute to my buddy Patron

Hello Topsiders,

I recently got a burst of inspiration to blog...and decided to before it left me. For any of you that don't already know, Patron recently died. I want to offer my sympanthy to any and all who were his friend. Especially you, K t, you knew him better than any of us. If you or anybody wants to call and talk about it or swap Patron stories with me, I would love to. The best way to get my number is to get in touch with the Star P, or go to the Iowa State University website, search for me, and send me an email...I don't like to post my personal number online with the exception of the 13 dating services, 12 Star Trek clubs, 8 Harry Potter Blogs, etc. that I'm a part of. ;-)

Patron was loved by some, disliked by others, and known by all. (all right, maybe a cheesy start, but I think it'll get better.) Regardless of how you felt about him...the community will be forever different without him. From my view...he had an important role in the community. He gave people something out side of themselves to focus on. Whether you liked Patron or not...he could be pretty hard to ignore.

Patron was able to give the gift animals are so good at giving and could call people out of their troubles to his world. He made more than one person smile when their eyes may have been glazing over during community meeting. He gave people something to love, to care for....maybe you couldn't work out what was going on inside of yourself....but you could probably find a treat he would approve of...and if nothing else, you know you'd make his day if you let him out of his cage. Patron could be stand-offish...but if you did win his love in return, you know you had earned something not given to all.

Patron was far from perfect. He made messes (but then...so do most the farmers) More than one finger fell victim to his beak, but that usually that was your own fault for not respecting his space. He could be disruptive, and I'm sure he raised the stress level of some individuals. I don't want to paint him as a saint...because he wasn't...he was Patron...but I think his presence will be missed.

For me...Patron often brightened my day. He gave me experience with "pet" birds, that I'd never had before. I have many good, funny stories and memories through his antics. It always looked fun to have a parrot sit on your shoulder, and because of him, I found out it was. He white-washed my clothes a few times...but if I only liked animals that didn't poop on me...I wouldn't have many friends. I played music for him, and he sometimes would make trombone noises back. He was a good buddy and I will miss him. Patron, thanks for everything.