Hello everybody
So...apparently during clinical rotations you enter an alternate dimension where you have no concept of the quantity of time that passes or a clear memory of what you did to pass all that time. In other words, I've been busy. Bearded vet is back for the moment, until I get sucked back into what I now fondly refer to as "the mothership" which most people recognize as the college of Veterinary Medicine. I just finished up a lot of work with cows, and am working with horses for two weeks. For those of you counting, I have had my feet stepped on by horses three times in three days...that isn't the goal and would be considered less than ideal.I'd like to clarify a couple of points about my ideas for the farm Kt, star p and I will start some day when we find enough people foolish enough (ahem, I mean with enough vision) to join us in regards to SWP's comments. I don't disagree with anything he said, but when I was talking about more space, more time off etc...my idea was not for selfishness...but to give people a chance to "recharge their batteries" and get away. In the Bible, there's lots of examples of Jesus taking time to himself, and getting away...and that is my idea. The garden, the desert, out on the sea, there's lots of examples. Heck, if Jesus needed to do it, I surely need to because I'm definitely not the man Jesus was. I would like to foster great community and true Christian values and selflessness because things do go better when everyone helps out. That was the idea with having people work on different teams, to get more overall cohesiveness and community going.
Ok...back by popular demand...I don't really know if it's popular demand...sometimes I say things to make myself sound cool...you know what's coming by now.....I'm sitting under a pavillion that is open to the elements all the the way around. There are trees everywhere you look. I'm sweating profusely because there isn't much of a breeze, I'm at the back of the Boone Municipal Band (a community band). It's a full concert band I'm lucky enough to play with. The age range is high school students to people who have long retired. There is a great deal of talent in the group and we practice the concert on Monday and perform it on Wednesday. New songs every week. We play a fair amount of music that definitely was meant to be practiced more than once before it is performed...and most often, we play it well. It's the fourth of July. There is much that isn't right in this country...with the people, the government, with the "system"..but for an hour...that all fades away, and the beauty that was created in this land, and the courage and heart of the people who have lived and do live here is brought to the fore front. The band director's hearing is fading, and the audience laughs at the same types of jokes he tells every week, year after year...and I love them more every time I hear them. We play many songs that mean a great deal to the audience. "In the Mood" by Glen Miller makes many people feel young again. Taps is played by a lone trumpet. The audience stands up as silently as hundreds of people can....and then...from beyond the hill...another trumpet plays taps again, as a reply. Complete silence follows the song. A medly of all the service songs brings sharply to their feet men who could barely walk a moment ago, as we salute the branch of the military they served in. And during Stars and Strips Forever...the entire audience forgets their chairs, stands, and claps along. As always...America the Beautiful ends the concert...mmmmmmmm...I'll never get tired of playing that song...Now that's living.
For its problems...we get to worship as we please or not at all...we can vote...many of us live in safety...and if we really don't like it here, we are free to go wherever we chose. If we could ever live out this line..."We hold these truth's to be self-evident, that all men (and women) are created equal..." That would truely be living. It won't ever happen...but...at the same time...it won't stop me from trying to live my life that way.
Disclaimer: I'm in a really good mood from the day and the concert, and a conversation with the Star P perked me up as well...so I apologize if that was too much for anybody. Take care everybody.

<< Home